TEAS Test Structure and Format
Why is it Important to Understand the TEAS Test Structure?
Preparation for any examination commences with candidates gathering all the required information about the test. The TEAS examination is no exception to this rule. Hence, if you are considering on taking a nursing school entrance examination, you must have thorough knowledge about theTEAS test structure and format. Understanding the test structure will also decide your TEAS preparatory method. In other words, it will help you analyze which sections of the test require extra attention from you. Thus, to help you understand theTEAS , the following sections of this article have been so designed that they will discuss each of these three features of the TEAS test, at length.<
Structure of the TEAS Question Paper
The TEAS examination is designed to analyze the knowledge that you have gathered during your high school years. The TEAS question paper is divided into four parts. The questions that you will come across in the various parts of the TEAS examination, will examine your high school knowledge of the following subjects:
- Mathematics: This section consists of questions from primarily three branches of math, viz, Arithmetic, Algebra and Data Interpretation. However, each of these branches covers a number of topics. Hence, it is essential to understand the topics that on which you will be questioned. In the Mathematics section of the TEAS, you will have to solve problems involving: whole, rational, irrational and imaginary numbers. You will also have to solve questions involving ratio proportion, percentages, algebraic equations and in-equalities. Finally, the questions involving Data Interpretation will require you to analyze various types of graphs in order to answer the questions following them.
- Reading: In this section of the TEAS you will have to read comprehension passages of various lengths and then answer questions based on them. These passages can refer to current affairs, excerpts from books, newspaper articles etc. Remember that this section is a test of your critical and analytical skills and hence, you should read the passages thoroughly and then make your conclusions.
- Science: The questions that you will come across in this section of the TEAS will cover all branches of science, viz, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science and Biology. However, since the TEAS test is primarily a nursing school entrance examination, you should give extra importance to the questions on Biology. Under Biology, you should study human anatomy, functioning of the human body and the endocrine system.
- English language and usage: In this section of the TEAS, you will have to solve questions that will test your grammatical skills, knowledge of punctuations and spellings. You can ace this section by practicing English grammar and understanding the various aspects of it.
The above-mentioned list outlines the nature of the various sections of the TEAS examination. However, your knowledge of the TEAS test structure and format is incomplete if you do not know the duration of the examination. The time allotted for each section of the test has been discussed in the following section of the article.
The Structure of the TEAS Examination Based on Time Allotment
The ATI has allotted different time limits for each section of the test. You will have to solve a total of 170 questions in 209 minutes. The time allotted for each section of the TEAS is as follows:
- For the Science section, you will have to solve 30 problems in 38 minutes.
- To solve the 45 problems in the Mathematics section, you will get 56 minutes.
- The Reading section comprises 40 questions, which have to be solved in 50 minutes.
- The 55 questions asked in the English language and usage section have to be solved in 65 minutes.
After you have understood everything about the TEAS, you will become more comfortable with the examination. Moreover, you will see that if you have a clear notion regarding the test structure and format of TEAS, preparing for the test will become easier. So understand the test better and start preparing for it at the earliest!