ASVAB Test Structure and Format
Why is it Important to Understand the ASVAB Test Structure?
If you wish to join the U.S Armed Forces, then you will need to take an assessment examination called the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery or ASVAB. The result of this exam will determine whether or not you have the qualifications that are required for the purpose of enlistment. Needless to say, the higher you score, the better it will be for you because it will increase your chances of getting enlisted. Now, an important thing you need to keep in mind is that you will be able to study for the test effectively only when you know the test structure and format well.
Significance of Understanding the Test Structure
So you have heard many people saying that in order to score high in the ASVAB, you need to understand the exam structure well, but you do not know how this can help you. Given below are some of the reasons why it is necessary for you to know the structure of the examination properly:
- You will be able to have a good idea about what to expect in the examination. If you read about the format, you will automatically get a very clear picture of how many sections are there in the test. In this exam, you will find nine sections in the pen and paper version and these are Assembling Objects, Mechanical Comprehension, Auto & Shop Information, Electronics Information, Mathematics Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Word Knowledge, Arithmetic Reasoning and General Science. In the computer-based version or the CAT-ASVAB, you will find ten sections and these are Assembling Objects, Mechanical Comprehension, Auto Information, Shop Information, Electronics Information, Mathematics Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Word Knowledge, Arithmetic Reasoning and General Science.
- You will also be able to know the type of questions that will be asked. In this exam, all the questions will be in the form of multiple-choice type questions. You will find that each of the questions has four answer options and out of these, you need to choose an answer that you feel is the correct answer.
- You will also be able to find out how many questions you can expect. In the CAT-ASVAB, there are 145 questions and in the pen and paper version of the test, there are 225 questions.
- Furthermore, knowledge of the test structure will help you finish the exam on time. Once you know what to expect and what kind of questions can come in the test, you will be able to practice the sample tests on a regular basis and you can also time yourself when you are taking this kind of test. This way, you will be able to find out how long you take to finish all the questions. If you are planning to take the computer-based version, you will have to answer the questions in 154 minutes. On the other hand, if you are planning to take the pen and paper version, you need to finish the exam in 149 minutes. You need to make sure that you complete all the sections within this period of time. If you are slow, then you will be at loss because you will not be given any additional time to answer the questions.
- Last but not the least, you will gain confidence and this will certainly have a positive impact on your result. You will know what to expect and has such, you will not be worried that you do not know how the test format will be like.
Keep in Mind...
While knowing the test structure is very important, it is equally important for you to prepare for the test thoroughly. You will only be able to obtain a high score when you study properly. If you do not study regularly, you cannot expect to obtain a good score in the test.